Saturday 22 December 2018

The Scottish Register of Tartans

I've registered my own personal tartan. The inspiration for such was my great granda Hugh Frizzell of Greenock, Scotland, a truly grand character who led a full and fascinating life. Orphaned as a youngster at the turn of the 19th century and packed off to Canada as a Quarrier Orphan, he made his way hame to Scotland and married Christina Sutherland in 1904 and then went onto serve during the Great War with the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, Great Granda Hugh got shot in Egypt and was redeployed to the Rail & Water section of the Royal Engineers back hame again in Scotland at Fort Matilda Greenock  and Paisley.  Granda Hugh Frizzell had 13 children of which 10 survived to adulthood. He worked  as a railway carter and then despite failing health offered his services again  during WW2 as a Civil Defence Warden which basically did him in. He died in 1944 from failing health and serving in inclement weather he succumbed to a cerebral haemorrhage. The Home Office kindly sent me his Defence Medal retrospectively for his services rendered which I thought was a very kind gesture bringing Hugh's award up to 3 medals in total. 
The colour scheme for my tartan was inspired by my South African Letters Patent issued back in 2015, namely my coat of arms. It's a simple design but is permitted for any Frizzell descendant of Hugh Frizzell to use plus my Bloxham-Simms family of Hull. The design was created on the 11th November 2018 a fitting tribute on the centennial of the Great War. You can see the official registration details here- Laird Sky Tartan


No comments:

Post a Comment